Four out of 30 (10%) African representation.
Joel Matip – Cameroon (28)
- He started six EPL games this season and has one goal already (hasn’t scored more than one goal in a season for Liverpool). He has 82 career EPL appearances and has scored four goals
- In his 82 appearances, he has been part of 29 clean sheets.
Naby Keita – Guinea (24)
- No starts this year
- In 25 previous EPL he has two goals and one assist.
Sadio Mane – Senegal (27)
- Golden Boot Award last season with 22 goals.
- Player of the month twice before (August 2017 and March 2019).
- He has 167 career EPL appearances (71 goals, 23 assists)
How Mane’s performance has improved at Liverpool
- 2016/2017 – Scored a goal every 2.07 games (13 goals in 27 games)
- 2017/2018 – Scored a goal every 2.9 games (10 goals in 29 games)
- 2018/2019 – Scored a goal every 1.64 games (22 goals in 36 games)
- 2019/2020 – Has scored a goal every 1.6 games this season (five goals in 8 games)
Mohammed Salah – Egypt (27)
- Golden Boot award in the last two seasons (scoring 22 goals last season and 32 in the 2017/2018 season)
- Player of the season in 2017/2018
- Player of the month in November 2017, February 2018 and March 2018
But Salah’s goal-scoring has dipped
- 2017/2018 – Scored a goal every 1.13 games (32 goals in 36 games)
- 2018/2019 – Scored a goal every 1.73 games (22 goals in 38 games)
- 2019/2020 – Has scored a goal every two games (four goals in eight games)
Worth noting that Yasser Larouci was born in Algeria however he is a French International player
Just one African player in the squad.
- Eric Bailly – has not started a game this year.
- Worth noting that Axel Tuanzebe was born in the DRC.
There are approximately 330 foreign players plying their trade in England (EPL) therefore that means just over 1% of the Liverpool and Manchester United squads are African.