COVID-19: PSL might have to be suspended

The PSL has to decide whether it will play fixtures without fans or suspended fixtures after the COVID-19 outbreak was declared a national disaster in South Africa.

Domestic soccer in South Africa might have to join the growing list of sporting events which have been suspended in the wake of the global COVID-19 pandemic.

South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa, declared the outbreak a national disaster on Sunday evening.

He said that public gatherings of more than 100 people are banned and all “non-essential” domestic travel is prohibited.

It effectively means that fans will not be allowed inside stadiums should the PSL continue. Players travelling might also fall into the “non-essential” category.

There has been no official word from the PSL on how they might respond. However, earlier in the week the South African Football Association said that they will be “taking their cue from our Government, represented by the Department of Health and our football mother bodies, FIFA and CAF.”

Sporting events have been postponed or cancelled around the world amid the spread of the virus, with sporting bodies and national governments forced into action unprecedented in the professional era.

Friday saw showpieces including the US Masters Golf and the London Marathon put on hold, joining professional European football, the ATP tennis tour and the Six Nations Rugby Championship as the sporting calendar was stripped bare.

Super Rugby has also been suspended indefinitely and the 2020 Euro competition could be postponed for as long as a year.

Default image
Staff Reporter
Hey there reader

If you're feeling kind, please...

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee