We all know we need to eat at least five portions of fruit or vegetables a day as part of a healthy diet. This is to increase the amount of dietary fibre, vitamins and antioxidants in the body. However, many of us struggle to get a recommended daily intake of fresh fruit and veggies.
As long as you’re not adding extra sugar to your smoothie, it makes for a great healthy start to your day – or a delicious snack.
Whatever your tastes, there’s a smoothie for you. This berry blend can be adjusted with your choice of berries and what is seasonably available.
Ingredients for a berry delight smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1 cup berries (strawberry, raspberry or blueberries)
- ½ cup fresh fruit juice of your choice (apple works well)
- ¼ cup yoghurt
- ½ cup ice
- 1 tablespoon honey or 4 pitted dates
- Optional: chia seeds, flax seeds or fresh mint
How to make a berry smoothie
- Cut the bananas into smaller chunks or slices.
- Add the banana, berries, juice, yoghurt, ice and honey (or dates) to a blender.
- Blend all the ingredients until the mixture is a smooth, thick consistency.