Updated on 10 December to add the details about the issue with genetics in The Sims 4 game itself.
The latest update for The Sims 4 base game was released a day early – a nice holiday surprise for Simmers.
The update added over 100 new skin tone swatches and a slider for further customisation as well as a colour slider for make up. It also changed the home screen UI and included several bug fixes. For a full overview of what changed with the Sims 4 Decmeber 2020 update, see the full patch notes.
As is always the case with updates to The Sims 4, custom content and mods can malfunction as a result of the updates.
We will do our best to ensure that the list below is updated as often as possible. However, you should always back up your saves and your game files before updating your game.
Also make sure you check the platforms of the creators you downloaded your CC or mods to see if they have released any updates for their content.
It is also worth remembering that what works for one player might not work for another, as many of these glitches will depend on the combination of custom content and mods you are using. Sometimes it is mods that cause a conflict with themselves rather than a conflict with the update.
While it was largely expected that many of the custom content skin tones and make up would have issues following the update, at first glance it appears as if the issues might not be as widespread as feared.
Remarkably, the majority of our CC make up, skin details (including the 3D Lashes by Kijiko) appeared to be fine in our initial tests.
Some custom content make-up even worked with the sliders to a certain extent (we tested a random sample of CC eyeliner, eye shadow, lipstick and blushes), allowing for the opacity to be adjusted – quite useful for creating a more matte look with some of the really stark CC make-up.
While custom skin tones were not visible at first glance (perhaps expected considering the change to the layout), other Create-a-Sim items were available and usable, just without the level of customisation added by the slider.
A random sample of skin overlays also appeared to work fine. Most of our mods, including the MC Command Centre, BetterBuildBuy and the T.O.O.L mod, were all working.
Sims 4 December update 2020: Broken, fine and updated custom content, mods
You can also head over to the official Sims 4 forum where luthienrising does an amazing job running a thread like this.
Broken mods, CC and other issues
- More Clubs Per Sim (Neia)
- No CC Wrench (claudiasharon)
- Kijiko non-default skin tones (not showing up in CAS)
- Noodles’ Berry Skin Colors (not showing up in CAS)
- Belly and Breast Sliders by Vibrant Pixels – update only expected in January
- Lazarus 3 default skinblend by grimcookies
- Melanin Packs by Xmiramira
- Some Wicked Whims textures for, ahem, anatomically correct Sims, will need updating.
- There is an issue with The Sims 4 base game relating to the way the genetics function works when two Sims with different skin tones have a child together. The child will always have the lighter skin tone. Game developers have said they are looking into the issue.
Fine or updated mods and CC
- Pregnancy Overhaul (LittleMsSam)
- No Outfit Changing – Custom LotTrait & Traits (LittleMsSam)
- Elevator Toddler Fix (LittleMsSam)
- Lay Down Success Chance (Cats & Dogs) (LittleMsSam)
- No Blind Date Call (Get Famous) (LittleMsSam)
- Phone Call Overhaul (Lotharihoe)
- Run, Don’t Jog (Lotharihoe)
- LittleMsSam: all not above, except Age Up Mod, which is waiting for a test of the patch fix
- Lotharihoe: all not above
- YourFalseHope: traits, interactions, and other mods & fixes
- Basemental (Reported fine by creator)
- More CAS Columns (weerbesu)
- UI Cheats Extension (weerbesu)
- Better Exceptions
- Better BuildBuy
- Expandable BuildBuy
- AllCheats and my other “Always” or toggle mods.
- CleanUI (but needs some icon updates)
- All of Zebru’s mods reported as fine
- MC Command Centre – no issues reported
- Brookheights Open World (The Sims Plus/Arnie Sims)