Latest EPL standings as well as fixtures and results are found below the predictions.
Chelsea and Manchester City ring in 2021 on Sunday with a Stamford Bridge blockbuster in the English Premier League.
The pair rounded off the last calendar year level on points in the EPL table, two of five clubs in the scramble for Europe locked on 26 points.
It would look a damn sight less promising for Frank Lampard’s side in the form table, mind you, with only one league win in their last five.
Boxing Day defeat at London rivals Arsenal didn’t help, nor did their home draw with Aston Villa, as hopes of challenging Liverpool for the top recede.
Kurt Zouma and Thiago at least had a chance to put their feet up and could come back into the thick of the action here.
Reece James and Hakim Ziyech are both doubtful for the first fixture of the new year.
Things are looking more promising for City, who are on an upward trajectory following a difficult early part of the campaign.
Pep Guardiola’s men are unbeaten in six and made it back-to-back wins on Boxing Day when they saw off Newcastle at the Etihad Stadium before a Covid-19 outbreak put paid to their trip to Everton.
That leaves a swirl of doubt around the fitness of several squad members, with Kyle Walker and Gabriel Jesus definitely confirmed as missing out.
Chelsea vs Manchester City: English Premier League Predictions by the numbers
- Coming into this game, Chelsea has picked up 4 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 0.8 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 3 of those games. Chelsea has scored 6 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Superb stuff from Chelsea at home, where they are currently unbeaten in 7 games. Can they go another game without defeat?
- Manchester City’s defence will have to be at their best today if they’re to stop Chelsea from scoring. The home side has scored in the last 3 games in front of their own fans. They have failed to score in 2 home matches this season.
- It’s possible we will see a couple of goals here, with the last 4 games for Chelsea ending with 2 goals or more being scored.
- In the last 5 matches for Chelsea, 3 of those games has ended with both teams scoring. This season 8 matches (50% of all matches) involving Chelsea has seen BTTS landing.
- It’s likely that Chelsea will score today, as they have netted in the last 4 games coming into this one and have scored 6 goals in the last five games.
- Coming into this game, Manchester City has picked up 11 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 2.2 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in just 1 of those games. Manchester City has scored 6 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Manchester City has enjoyed playing away from home recently, with the side currently unbeaten in 2 games.
- Momentum is really building for Manchester City as they have now gone 6 games without losing. They have won 3 of the last 5 games they have played.
- Manchester City has kept 4 clean sheets in the last 5 games, conceding 1 goals during this period. Overall this season, their defence has kept a clean sheet on 7 occasions.
- Manchester City is unbeaten in the last 5 games coming into this fixture against Chelsea, having won 3 and drawn 2. They have scored 6 goals in those 5 games.
- Just 1 of the last 5 games for Manchester City has ended with both teams scoring. They have won 3 of those 5 games. Overall, BTTS has landed in 6/14 games for Manchester City this season.
Stats source: footystats.org
Chelsea vs Manchester City: Prediction
Prediction methodology explained: The expected win percentage is based off publicly available odds. For example, if a team’s odds are 2.30, the expected chance of winning is 43%. If the odds are 1.62 the expected chance of winning is 62% and so on. These are accurate at the time of writing but are subject to change. Where there is no value listed, the odds were not available at the time of writing.
Chelsea vs Manchester City: EPL starting XI prediction
Probable Chelsea Starting XI: Edouard Mendy, Cesar Azpilicueta, Kurt Zouma, Thiago Silva, Ben Chilwell, Mateo Kovacic, N’Golo Kante, Mason Mount, Christian Pulisic, Tammy Abraham, Callum Hudson-Odoi.
Probable Manchester City Starting XI: Ederson, Joao Cancelo, John Stones, Ruben Dias, Benjamin Mendy, Rodrigo, Ilkay Gundogan, Riyad Mahrez, Kevin de Bruyne, Raheem Sterling, Sergio Aguero.