Sevilla and Borussia Dortmund meet for the first leg of their Uefa Champions League last 16 clash on Wednesday night in Spain.
It’s a meeting between the serial Europa League winners and the German side whose continental star has waned ever so slightly in recent campaigns.
Dortmund had no problems in negotiating their safe passage from Group F, going five unbeaten following an opening night hiccup to finish three points clear of Lazio at the top, with Club Bruges and Zenit St Petersburg swatted aside.
Sevilla also cruised their way through the pool stage, finishing second in Group E, a point behind English Premier League side Chelsea.
The Spanish club were eight points clear of FK Krasnodar in a distant third place, with French minnows Rennes collecting the wooden spoon.
Erling Haaland and Jadon Sancho are hot property at the moment and the pair are set to spearhead the Dortmund attack off the back of some impressive domestic form.
First choice keeper Roman Burki misses out through injury, which means Marwin Hitz will feature in goal.
Temporary coach Edin Terzic has a head scratcher at the back thanks to the absence of Thomas Meunier and Lukasz Piszczek, with Mateu Morey likely to play here.
Dan-Axel Zagadou is also ruled out by injury for the away side.
Former Spain and Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui has injury concerns over at least four players ahead of the home fixture.
Jesus Navas, Marcos Acuna, Lucas Ocampos and Oscar Rodriguez are all facing a race against time to feature against the Germans.
Sevilla vs Borussia Dortmund: By the numbers
- The last meeting between these two sides ended with the following result : Sevilla FC 2 – 2 Borussia Dortmund.
- These 2 teams have met 2 times in the last several seasons based on the data that we have of them.
- Out of 2 previous meetings, Sevilla FC have won one match while Borussia Dortmund won 0. 1 matches between them have ended in a draw.
- Sevilla FC is in excellent home form while Borussia Dortmund are performing average at away.
- Previous matches between Sevilla FC and Borussia Dortmund have averaged 2.5 goals while BTTS has happened 50% of the time.
- So far this season in the UEFA Champions League, Sevilla FC have averaged 3 Points Per Game at home matches and Borussia Dortmund 1.2 Points Per Game at away matches.
Stats source: footystats.org
Sevilla vs Borussia Dortmund: Prediction
Prediction methodology explained: The expected win percentage is based off publicly available odds. For example, if a team’s odds are 2.30, the expected chance of winning is 43%. If the odds are 1.62 the expected chance of winning is 62% and so on. These are accurate at the time of writing but are subject to change. Where there is no value listed, the odds were not available at the time of writing.
Sevilla vs Borussia Dortmund: UCL starting XI prediction
Probable Sevilla Starting XI: Yassine Bounou, Aleix Vidal, Jules Kounde, Diego Carlos, Karim Rekik, Ivan Rakitic, Fernando, Joan Jordan, Suso, Youssef En-Nesyri, Papu Gomez.
Probable Borussia Dortmund Starting XI: Marwin Hitz, Mateu Morey, Manuel Akanji, Mats Hummels, Rafael Guerreiro, Axel Witsel, Thomas Delaney, Jadon Sancho, Marco Reus, Thorgan Hazard, Erling Haaland.