Cristiano Ronaldo is back on Portuguese soil as Juventus go to FC Porto for the first leg of their Uefa Champions League first knockout round clash on Wednesday.
The pair meet at the Estadio do Dragao having both waltzed through the pool stage of this season’s UCL competition.
Juventus dropped just three points – against Barcelona – on their way to topping Group G with 15 points alongside the Catalan giants, as Ronaldo got one over on old foe Lionel Messi.
Dynamo Kyiv and Ferencvaros proved no match for two of the continent’s football heavyweights.
Porto also had a steady time in Group C, finishing second behind Pep Guardiola’s English Premier League side Manchester City.
They finished a whopping ten points clear of Olympiakos and Marseille, who both endured a horror show of a tournament.
Ronaldo is set to spearhead the attack alongside Alvaro Morata, with Pablo Dybala ruled out of the front line by injury.
Coach Andrea Pirlo will have to squeeze out one of Leonardo Bonucci, Giorgio Chiellini and Matthijs de Ligt if he opts for four at the back for the away leg.
Arthur is also missing due to an injury for the Old Lady, who were beaten Champions League finalists in 2017 and 2015.
The hosts won’t have Zaidu Sanusi or Otavio at their disposal for the first leg, meaning Malang Sarr could shift to left back.
Boss Sergio Conceicao will be tempted to pair Mehdi Taremi with Moussa Marega up front as they attempt to snaffle an advantage to take with them to Turin.
FC Porto vs Juventus: By the numbers
- Porto and Juventus go head to head in the UEFA Champions League, their last meeting ended with a Porto 0 – 2 Juventus scoreline.
- These two teams have met twice in the last several seasons based on the data that we have of them.
- Out of 2 previous meetings, Porto have won 0 matches while Juventus won 2. No matches between them have ended in a draw.
- Porto is in good home form while Juventus are performing well at away.
- Previous matches between Porto and Juventus have averaged 1.5 goals while BTTS has happened 0% of the time.
- So far this season in the UEFA Champions League, Porto have averaged 1.67 Points Per Game at home matches and Juventus 1.5 Points Per Game at away matches.
Stats source: footystats.org
FC Porto vs Juventus: Prediction
Prediction methodology explained: The expected win percentage is based off publicly available odds. For example, if a team’s odds are 2.30, the expected chance of winning is 43%. If the odds are 1.62 the expected chance of winning is 62% and so on. These are accurate at the time of writing but are subject to change. Where there is no value listed, the odds were not available at the time of writing.
FC Porto vs Juventus: UCL starting XI prediction
Probable FC Porto Starting XI: Agustin Marchesin, Wilson Manafa, Chancel Mbemba, Diogo Leite, Malang Sarr, Corona, Mateus Uribe, Sergio Oliveira, Luis Diaz, Mehdi Taremi, Moussa Marega.
Probable Juventus Starting XI: Wojciech Szczesny, Juan Cuadrado, Leonardo Bonucci, Giorgio Chiellini, Alex Sandro, Dejan Kulusevski, Weston McKennie, Rodrigo Bentancur, Federico Chiesa, Cristiano Ronaldo, Alvaro Morata.