Exactly 21 days after The Sims franchise turned 21, The Sims 4 released a free base game update to mark the occasion. Part of this update included content created by modders and custom content creators. The update was just over 400MB (if you have all the packs installed).
While it was initially believed that The Sims 4 had partnered with 21 creators for the celebratory gift, the figure references 21 items added by nine different creators. The creators are HeyHarrie, peachyfaerie, storylegacysims, peacemaker_ic, Luumia, icemunmun, grimcookies, FeralPoodles, and AHarris00Britney.
The Sims also announced that bunk beds will finally be added to The Sims 4 base game in an update expected to be released in late March 2021.
The tuning notes for the patch – which are released to help modders and CC creators make adjustments – also released ahead of the patch – and they made for interesting reading. As part of the celebration for the big birthday, The Sims team will also host a “variety” live stream at 21:00 South African time (GMT+2) on Twitch.
Speaking of mods and CC (and before we get into some bits from them), remember that you will have to turn your mods and CC back on after you patch your game. If you use any mods that make changes to emotions, you will most likely run into problems.
We will do our best to ensure that the list below is updated as often as possible. However, you should always back up your saves and your game files before updating your game.
Also make sure you check the platforms of the creators you downloaded your CC or mods to see if they have released any updates for their content. You might also want to consider using TwistedMexi’s Better Exceptions mod, which will run a scan on your mods and CC folder to check for any potential errors or conflicts.
The Sims 4 February 2021 update: Tuning notes
These notes were released on the official Sims forums and contain some interesting bits that give an indication of what players might be able to expect from the patch (which has since been released). As noted over on Twitter by a modder when the tuning notes were released, something that appears to be a “dust system” was patched in, but it does not seem to be in use yet. Update: it appears as if this is an indication of a sort of ‘micro pack’ coming to The Sims 4 soon called Kits. “Bust the Dust” is one of three listed “Sims 4 Kits”, revealed in the game code.
The “dust” commodity, what that means is not clear though. Part of the code makes reference to “DUST_SYSTEM_ENABLED”, amongst other things. This could be a preparation ahead for something to come in future.
One part of the dust code reads “tags of dust-related objects that need to be reclaimed by the dust service or else they will be destroyed. This helps ensure that dust-related objects are destroyed when loading a save after the dust system game option has been disabled”.
The patch notes do make mention of fixing an issue with Robot Vacuums not actually cleaning up anything, but the dust system seem to be far more comprehensive than that.
Sims 4 February 2021 update: Official patch notes
The official patch notes for the latest Sims 4 update will appear below as soon as they are available and are taken verbatim from the official Sims site. The only edits are for style and brevity.
As of February 4th, The Sims™ is officially 21 years old. To be quite honest with you all, I have a lot of feelings regarding that as not only it confirms that I’m getting older, but also it makes me think about everything that The Sims has meant to so many people over these past 21 years.
My own personal – professional – journey in The Sims started in 2010 and since then I have seen every pack, every feature, and every comment from our wonderful community. Most importantly I have made great friendships with coworkers (former and current) and I have enjoyed a lot of the content our community shares and talks about on a daily basis.
This year we have nine amazing creators from The Sims community sharing their talent with all of us in honor of this joyous occasion. As of today, you can see in your game 21 new creations present in your game, some in Build Mode and some in Create a Sim, designed by these members of our community. They are in both game areas with a Green Icon representing a present and they are tagged with the Special -> Birthday filter.
We have partnered with the wonderful HeyHarrie, peachyfaerie, storylegacysims, peacemaker_ic, Luumia, icemunmun, grimcookies, FeralPoodles, and AHarris00Britney. They have created unique and fun items for everyone to enjoy, so we hope that you like them as much as we do.
Along with these items we have a number of fixes and tweaks that we managed to deliver in this update. So thanks as always for your patience and support in reporting and helping our Live Operations team review and set these fixes in motion.
On behalf of Maxis I want to wish everyone a Happy 21st, and remember that You Make The Sims!
- Fixed an issue in the control scheme screen – if you are not familiar with this screen, press L3 (Playstation 4) or LS (Xbox One) it’s awesome… anyway! The issue is that the screen did not display the “Edit Color” option when in Create a Sim. We also fixed an issue in which the options for the L1 (PlayStation 4) and LB (Xbox One) were not showing up on the same screen.
- When randomizing Skin Tone colours, pressing the X Button (PlayStation 4) or the A Button (Xbox One) will select and apply the correct tone.
- We have cleansed the Create a Sim of the “Play button” control option that would appear randomly in the dynamic controller layouts.
- Made some alignments on the Main Menu Home and Packs tab as they were not looking quite right when Simmers switched to Mouse and Keyboard.
- Fixed an issue in Create a Sim that did not allow Body presets to be present as an option for Children and Toddler Sims.
- For Simmers that experience a Last UI Exception error in Create a Sim while selecting Skin Tones, the issue has been resolved.
- The UI team has fixed a few imperfections in Create a Sim/Pet:
- Pet breed’s thumbnails will no longer look disproportionate in the Coat Colour/Pattern section in the case of Simmers that own Cats and Dogs.
- Sims’ makeup sliders will no longer overlap with colour swatches and highlighting colour swatches will no longer make them look offset.
- Fixed an issue in which the Skin Tones sliders didn’t appropriately hide when changing to other parts of the Sims to customize.
- Saving customized colour swatches will no longer create duplicates of the base colour swatch used to create the custom colour.
- The Save button will no longer function inconsistently when utilizing the opacity sliders. Did it save? But did you save it? Did it actually save? But did it save?
- Gallery Notifications on the Main Menu needed to be more opaque as they were a bit unreadable and quite… ghostly. Good to know that was the resolve because this editor was second-guessing her contacts’ prescription for a while there.
- As always this editor and the Localization team made some adjustments and perfected some of the text in-game across all packs and previous updates.
Get to Work
- We were contacted by the Aliens, and they have helped us reinstate their missing Skin Tone colour in Create a Sim. Now all 8 Alien skin options are visible again.
Cats and Dogs
- We did some maintenance on all Robot Vacuums so now they will actually clean up messes instead of just roaming around your Lot. Especially those created by Children and Toddlers – Big Yikes! Glad that the warranty was still in place though.
- Was your game save feeling the pressure to not continue with the Winterfest spirit? So were we. We have applied a fix that should help with the culling of extra Father Winters… affecting some saves. The Culling (it’s like The Happening, so something will happen… we hope) should start when loading into a Lot. Simmers with low-end machines and many, many Father Winters… in saves, may take some time (possibly hours… that is real-life hours, not Sim hours… just in case) for The Culling to complete. Afterward, Simmers should see an improvement in performance when playing these saves.
- The “Store No More Home Fabricator” will now properly display the number of Bits and Pieces that are owned by Sims.
- Children will no longer look like they have put a leg through a rocking chair when reacting happily to rocking. Nothing to see here… nothing to see here folks.