Latest EPL standings as well as fixtures and results are found below the predictions.
Manchester United put a rollercoaster week behind them as they return to English Premier League action at Aston Villa on Sunday.
The Red Devils were left looking on aghast from their team hotel last weekend as fed up supporters staged a protest at Old Trafford, breaking into the stadium in a move that led to the postponement of their north west derby with Liverpool.
Missing out on the chance to keep the points tally ticking looks set to hand neighbours Manchester City the EPL title a little earlier, putting the kibosh on second-placed United’s bid to delay the inevitable.
But it’s a far brighter picture on the continent, as United finished the job in storming past Italian side Roma to reach the Uefa Europa League final on Thursday night.
Supporter unrest is everything to do with the club’s owners and no reflection on the form of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s charges.
His side are unbeaten in 13 Premier League fixtures and look to be an odds on bet to finish the campaign second in the table.
Leicester in third remain in with a sniff of usurping them, though, thanks to United’s goalless draw at Leeds a fortnight ago before the curtain failed to go up against Jurgen Klopp’s Reds.
Veteran Edinson Cavani looks set to continue leading the line in Birmingham, with Anthony Martial still ruled out by injury.
Daniel James and Phil Jones are also crocked, while Marcus Rashford, Victor Lindelof, Scott McTominay and keeper Dean Henderson are all fresh after being kept in reserve at the Stadio Olimpico.
Aston Villa retain hopes of a top half Premier League finish thanks to a bright season under coach Dean Smith.
The Villans have notched 14 victories in the league so far, most recently last Saturday away to fading Everton.
It leaves the West Midlands club tenth in the standings coming into this weekend, a point behind fallen giants Arsenal and with a game in hand to boot.
England international Jack Grealish won’t face United thanks to injury, with Egypt star Trezeguet also sidelined.
Morgan Sanson joins the duo in the treatment room, with Smith set to have an otherwise fully fit squad to select from.
Aston Villa vs Manchester United: By the numbers
- Coming into this game, Aston Villa has picked up 7 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 1.4 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 5 of those games. Aston Villa has scored 9 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Manchester United’s defence will have to be at their best today if they’re to stop Aston Villa from scoring. The home side has scored in the last 3 games in front of their own fans. They have failed to score in 4 home matches this season.
- Aston Villa has put together a good run of form and has now gone 2 games without defeat.
- It’s possible we will see a couple of goals here, with the last 7 games for Aston Villa ending with 2 goals or more being scored.
- The last 5 games for Aston Villa has each seen both teams scoring. Will they improve their defence, or will we see more of the same here? This season Aston Villa has seen a total of 15/33 fixtures end with both teams scoring. That’s 45% of all matches played.
- It’s likely that Aston Villa will score today, as they have netted in the last 5 games coming into this one and have scored 9 goals in the last five games.
- Coming into this game, Manchester United has picked up 13 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 2.6 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 3 of those games. Manchester United has scored 9 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Superb stuff from Manchester United away from home, where they are currently unbeaten in 17 games. Can they go another game without defeat?
- Momentum is really building for Manchester United as they have now gone 13 games without losing. They have won 4 of the last 5 games they have played.
- Manchester United is unbeaten in the last 5 games coming into this fixture against Aston Villa, having won 4 and drawn 1. They have scored 9 goals in those 5 games.
- In the last 5 matches for Manchester United, 3 of those games has ended with both teams scoring. This season 19 matches (58% of all matches) involving Manchester United has seen BTTS landing.
Aston Villa vs Manchester United: Prediction
Prediction methodology explained: The expected win percentage is based off publicly available odds. For example, if a team?s odds are 2.30, the expected chance of winning is 43%. If the odds are 1.62 the expected chance of winning is 62% and so on. These are accurate at the time of writing but are subject to change. Where there is no value listed, the odds were not available at the time of writing.
Aston Villa vs Manchester United: EPL starting XI prediction
Probable Aston Villa Starting XI: Emiliano Martinez, Matthew Cash, Ezri Konsa, Tyrone Mings, Matthew Targett, Douglas Luiz, John McGinn, Bertrand Traore, Ross Barkley, Anwar El Ghazi, Ollie Watkins.
Probable Manchester United Starting XI: Ethan Henderson, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, Fred, Scott McTominay, Marcus Rashford, Bruno Fernandes, Paul Pogba, Edinson Cavani.