Latest EPL standings as well as fixtures and results are found below the predictions.
Chelsea have a fourth consecutive English Premier League victory in their sights as they wrap up the weekend’s fixtures at home to Newcastle on Monday night.
Thomas Tuchel has piloted his side to three straight wins following an opening game stalemate with Wolves at Stamford Bridge.
A home win over obdurate Burnley followed for the freshly-installed German, before a duo of successes on the road at London rivals Tottenham and basement club Sheffield United.
The Blues start the EPL weekend fifth in the table, just a point and a place behind reigning champions Liverpool.
Tuchel has a few injury niggles on his hands this week, as Thiago Silva steadily makes his way back from a hamstring problem.
Forward duo Timo Werner and Kai Havertz are also short of full fitness and may not be risked.
Newcastle are bobbling along yet again in the mid to lower reaches of the standings, not good enough to push for Europe and not quite incompetent enough to plunge into the relegation zone.
The pressure has eased on boss Steve Bruce in recent weeks, too, thanks to two wins in the last three for the Tynesiders.
They clung on for all three points against out-of-sorts Southampton at St James? Park last time out, putting to bed the home defeat to Crystal Palace that washed away the joy of a handsome success away to Everton.
Ten points is the breathing space between themselves and the drop zone, despite being plonked in 16th place on the ladder.
Callum Wilson is a huge miss for the visitors after suffering a hamstring injury, adding to a list including Javier Manquillo, Federico Fernandez, Jamal Lascelles and Fabian Schar.
Jeff Hendrick won?t feature in the midfield either, as he starts his ban after being sent off last weekend.
Chelsea vs Newcastle: By the numbers
- Coming into this game, Chelsea has picked up 10 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 2 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in just 1 of those games. Chelsea has scored 5 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Chelsea has enjoyed playing at home recently, with the side currently unbeaten in 2 games.
- Momentum is really building for Chelsea as they have now gone 4 games without losing. They have won 3 of the last 5 games they have played.
- Chelsea has kept 3 clean sheets in the last 5 games, conceding 3 goals during this period. Overall this season, their defence has kept a clean sheet on 10 occasions.
- Chelsea will be looking to keep up the momentum today against Newcastle United, having lost just 1 game from the last 5. They have won 3 and drawn 1
- Things have not been going that well in front of goal for Chelsea recently, with the side failing to score in 2 of the last 5 games. Will the manager change his tactics today, or throw in another forward?
- Just 1 of the last 5 games for Chelsea has ended with both teams scoring. They have won 3 of those 5 games. Overall, BTTS has landed in 10/23 games for Chelsea this season.
- Coming into this game, Newcastle United has picked up 6 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 1.2 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 3 of those games. Newcastle United has scored 7 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- It’s possible we will see a couple of goals here, with the last 6 games for Newcastle United ending with 2 goals or more being scored.
- In the last 5 matches for Newcastle United, 3 of those games has ended with both teams scoring. This season 12 matches (52% of all matches) involving Newcastle United has seen BTTS landing.
- It’s likely that Newcastle United will score today, as they have netted in the last 4 games coming into this one and have scored 7 goals in the last five games.
Stats source: footystats.org
Chelsea vs Newcastle: Prediction
Prediction methodology explained: The expected win percentage is based off publicly available odds. For example, if a team’s odds are 2.30, the expected chance of winning is 43%. If the odds are 1.62 the expected chance of winning is 62% and so on. These are accurate at the time of writing but are subject to change. Where there is no value listed, the odds were not available at the time of writing.
Chelsea vs Newcastle: EPL starting XI prediction
Probable Chelsea Starting XI: Edouard Mendy, Cesar Azpilicueta, Andreas Christensen, Antonio Rudiger, Reece James, Jorginho, Mateo Kovacic, Ben Chilwell, Mason Mount, Timo Werner, Callum Hudson-Odoi.
Probable Newcastle Starting XI: Karl Darlow, Emile Krafth, Ciaran Clark, Paul Dummett, Jamal Lewis, Joe Willock, Isaac Hayden, Jonjo Shelvey, Miguel Almiron, Allan Saint-Maximin, Joelinton.