Latest EPL standings as well as fixtures and results are found below the predictions.
Manchester United and Newcastle contest the Sunday night English Premier League fixture when they meet at Old Trafford.
The hosts are casting their gaze up towards noisy neighbours Manchester City at the EPL summit, while the visitors are looking over their shoulder with increasing alarm at the relegation zone.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?s side have just one win in their last five, albeit that success being a record-busting 9-0 destruction of Southampton.
They still come into the weekend second in the table, level on points with third-placed Leicester but with an increasingly yawning ten-point gap to Pep Guardiola?s men at the summit.
Paul Pogba is ruled out until March by injury, in a blow to Solskjaer?s midfield, with Scott McTominay and Donny van de Beek also doubtful to feature in the engine room.
Edinson Cavani will also need to be assessed thanks to a muscle injury before taking his place at the head of the United attack.
Defender Phil Jones remains a long-term casualty, not that Solskjaer looked particularly interested in playing the one-time England international anyway.
Newcastle have picked up a couple of wins in recent weeks but remain in trouble at the wrong end of the Premier League table.
Monday?s 2-0 reverse at Chelsea was a 13th of the campaign for Steve Bruce and his side, who have slipped below Burnley and Brighton in the battle to beat the drop.
Six points is the difference between the Tynesiders and Fulham the other side of the dreaded dotted line, with the London club also boasting a better goal difference.
The continued absence of striker Callum Wilson remains a major blow to the Toon Army?s hopes of avoiding the drop to the Championship.
Federico Fernandez, Fabian Schar and Javier Manquillo join the forward in pestering the medical staff, although the away side can welcome Jeff Hendrick back from suspension.
Manchester United vs Newcastle: By the numbers
- Coming into this game, Manchester United has picked up 6 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 1.2 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 3 of those games. Manchester United has scored 14 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Manchester United has enjoyed playing at home recently, with the side currently unbeaten in 2 games.
- Newcastle United’s defence will have to be at their best today if they’re to stop Manchester United from scoring. The home side has scored in the last 6 games in front of their own fans. They have failed to score in 3 home matches this season.
- Momentum is really building for Manchester United as they have now gone 4 games without losing. They have won 1 of the last 5 games they have played.
- Manchester United will be looking to keep up the momentum today against Newcastle United, having lost just 1 game from the last 5. They have won 1 and drawn 3
- In the last 5 matches for Manchester United, 3 of those games has ended with both teams scoring. This season 15 matches (63% of all matches) involving Manchester United has seen BTTS landing.
- Coming into this game, Newcastle United has picked up 6 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 1.2 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 3 of those games. Newcastle United has scored 7 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- It’s possible we will see a couple of goals here, with the last 7 games for Newcastle United ending with 2 goals or more being scored.
- Newcastle United has fired blanks in 9 games this season. That’s 38% of games where they have not been able to find the back of the net. Do they need a new forward? In the last 5 games, they have scored an intriguing 7 goals.
- In the last 5 matches for Newcastle United, 3 of those games has ended with both teams scoring. This season 12 matches (50% of all matches) involving Newcastle United has seen BTTS landing.
Manchester United vs Newcastle: Prediction
Prediction methodology explained: The expected win percentage is based off publicly available odds. For example, if a team?s odds are 2.30, the expected chance of winning is 43%. If the odds are 1.62 the expected chance of winning is 62% and so on. These are accurate at the time of writing but are subject to change. Where there is no value listed, the odds were not available at the time of writing.
Manchester United vs Newcastle: EPL starting XI prediction
Probable Manchester United Starting XI: David de Gea, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, Fred, Nemanja Matic, Mason Greenwood, Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford, Edinson Cavani.
Probable Newcastle Starting XI: Karl Darlow, Emil Krafth, Jamal Lascelles, Ciaran Clark, Jamal Lewis, Joe Willock, Isaac Hayden, Jonjo Shelvey, Miguel Almiron, Dwight Gayle, Allan Saint-Maximin.